Wearing a bow tie may be foreign for many men, but this sartorial accessory is a classic staple in menswear and for good reason. The pointers that go with wearing a standard necktie are also applicable when it comes to the bow tie as well. If you’re interested in wearing a bow tie for men but don’t know what to look for, follow this simple guide:
- There are 3 types of bow tie; the self tie, clip on bowtie, and the pre-tied bow tie. Many men prefer the self-tie versions of the bow tie, but tying the perfect bow can be tedious and nearly impossible. Clip on bowties are great choices for both men and children alike.
- The width of your bowtie should never overcome the width of your face and should be smaller than the width of your collar. An oversized bowtie will look ridiculous and unflattering.
- Bowties come in a variety of fabrics and patterns. Flannel, cotton and seersucker are popular choices for daily worn bowties whereas silk is essential for formal and classier events. Patterns like paisley and stripes are also popular when it comes to bowties.
- Choose a bow tie that correlates well with the colors in your outfit. Never choose as bowtie that is too bright and overpowering. Like most accessories in men’s style, bowties should emphasize your style and not overshadow your entire outfit.
- A bow tie can be worn for a variety of occasions. Pairing a bow tie or clip on bow tie with a suit or tuxedo is an excellent choice for more formal events. A bow tie worn with jeans and sports coat is also a dapper and popular choice for more laid-back occasions.