When people think of menswear it’s not uncommon to immediately think of a conservative suit and tie, but there is much more to style than meets the eye. Below are a few antiquated rules that you can break and still look 100% put together and dapper.
- Mix patterns! Do you have a patterned clip-on tie? Wear it with a plaid shirt.
- It used to be said that belt should match your shoes. However, forget this rule. It’s still important to keep in mind that a black belt and brown shoes isn’t a good combination, but colored belts can really keep an outfit interesting, and look great with any type of shoe. Consider a white roped belt in the summer for a nautical vibe.
- Sockless is in! You don’t need to wear socks with that suit. Showing a look ankle is very modern and super fashion forward. Take a peak in your favorite men’s magazine to see what we mean.
- Neckties do not need to be subtle! Patterns are in, and it’s time to start adding some to your wardrobe. A necktie can be a very stylish statement piece.
- Boots can be worn with a suit or with a pair of jeans. Try breaking the rules and adding a pair of rugged boots to your suit.
- No white between Labor Day and Memorial Day? We say go for it! Who made this rule anyway?